Who is a sexologist?
A sexologist is a specialist in the field of sexology, usually a psychiatrist , who as part of his training is well versed in various aspects of human sexuality, from normal sexual development to sexual orientation, the dynamics of sexual relationships and sexual dysfunctions and disorders, like erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation , sexual desire problems and anorgasmia.
What types of sexual problems/concerns can a sexologist help with?
The following are common concerns that a sexologist helps individuals and couples, address:
- Erectile difficulty(erectile dysdunction/impotence)
- Ejaculatory control difficulties including premature ejaculation.
- Lack of or reduced desire or arousal
- Difficulty maintaining arousal.
- Difficulty reaching orgasm.
- Fear of or aversion to touch, intimacy, penetration or pain
- Feeling abnormal (in terms of sexual behavior, fantasy, capability, physique, etc.)
- Feeling inexperienced, uninformed or misinformed, & unskilled in sexual matters.
- Feeling ashamed of sexuality or sexual desires
- Not finding satisfying sexual activities or maintaining intimacy after surgery, a health crisis, ongoing health challenges or during pregnancy and parenthoood.
- Difficulty identifying satisfying activities for both partners
- Difficulty communicating sexual needs and desires
- Lack of Intimacy
- Sexual trauma or sexual abuse history
- Sexual orientation identity (straight, gay, bisexual, etc.)
- Sexual compulsion.
How do I know that I am with a doctor qualified in sexology ?
Most of the time patients do not know whom to consult for their sex problems and are often cheated by unqualified quacks.
A sexologist is a specialist in the field of sexology, usually a psychiatrist , who as part of his training is well versed in various aspects of sexology including handling sexual dysfunctions , myths and relationship problems.
In India,sexology is currently an unregulated field, which means that people can call themselves sexologists without earning credentials in the field. When searching for a sexologist, it is important to know what kind of formal education and training does a practitioner have in the area of human sexuality.
Dr. Sumeet Inder Singh
Dr Sumeet Inder Singh is among the best senior consultant PSYCHIATRIST AND DEADDICTION SPECIALIST in Chandigarh India.
M.D.(Psychiatry), C.C.S.T.(U.K.).He has also been conferred upon the special distinction of SEXOLOGIST by the AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SEXOLOGISTS (U. S. A.).
- Whom should I consult for drug addiction ? And why?
- How is drug addiction treated?
- Why some people become addicted to drugs while others don’t ?
- Is depression treatable?
- What influences the ability to tolerate stress ?
- What is the duration of treatment?
- What are symptoms of Depression?
- How can I cope with stress?
- What is depression?
- What should I do if I am depressed?
- Will life be normal again after depression?
- What are the reasons for becoming depressed?
- What are the warning signs that a friend or a loved one is using drugs?
- What are the symptoms?
- What is stress?