There are many things you can do to reduce the impact of stress and cope with symptoms.
- Exercise regularly ---Go for a brisk walk, join an aerobics class or a gym, ride a bike, jog with friends or even go for a swim.
- Take a class in yoga, learn progressive relaxation , meditation or do simple deep breathing.
- A close confiding relationship of family members & trusted friends is your greatest protection against stress, so cultivate close emotional relationships
- Listening to any type of music you find enjoyable,can help you relax
- Take out time for yourself at least three times a week. Go out for a leisurely meal preferably with someone with whom you don’t end up discussing business, read a novel over a cup of tea, switch off your phone ,sit quietly with your eyes closed & deep breathe.
- Eat well balanced, nutritious meals.Avoid alcohol,cigarettes & decrease the intake of coffee, chocolates, sugar snacks
- Get adequate sleep.
- If you feel angry, walk away. Simply do deep breathing & count mentally up to 10, then look at the situation again.
- Set reasonable standards for yourself and others. Don’t expect perfection
- Learn to identify and monitor stressors .Either try changing the situation by avoiding / altering the stressor or change your reaction by adapting / accepting
Dr. Sumeet Inder Singh
Dr Sumeet Inder Singh is among the best senior consultant PSYCHIATRIST AND DEADDICTION SPECIALIST in Chandigarh India.
M.D.(Psychiatry), C.C.S.T.(U.K.).He has also been conferred upon the special distinction of SEXOLOGIST by the AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SEXOLOGISTS (U. S. A.).
- Whom should I consult for drug addiction ? And why?
- How is drug addiction treated?
- Why some people become addicted to drugs while others don’t ?
- Is depression treatable?
- What influences the ability to tolerate stress ?
- What is the duration of treatment?
- What are symptoms of Depression?
- How can I cope with stress?
- What is depression?
- What should I do if I am depressed?
- Will life be normal again after depression?
- What are the reasons for becoming depressed?
- What are the warning signs that a friend or a loved one is using drugs?
- What are the symptoms?
- What is stress?